Hair Slugging has absolutely nothing to do with slugs, but rather a method involving hair oils that has most recently found itself in the thoughts and phones of the beauty obsessed, and those who will do whatever it takes to have the shiniest, most hydrated hair in the room. What's it all about?
Thanks to K-Beauty's Skin Slugging and the rise of "skincare-ified haircare", Hair Slugging is an adapted hair masking technique that sees hair coated in oil overnight to combat those dry, dull strands that have found their way onto your head without an invitation.
Like many viral trends these days it seems, Hair Slugging has a history that has far outlived the internet itself. Traditionally practised as the Ayurvedic ritual known as Hair Oiling, it has been passed down through generations for thousands of years for benefits such as strengthening roots and hair, preventing greys and minimising hair fall, as well as a rejuvenated complexion and blissful sleep using a blend of plant-based oils from the roots to the ends of the hair.
Basically, it involves applying hair oil to your hair and wrapping it securely before going to sleep and washing it upon waking to reveal the softest, shinest hair of your dreams - but if the thought of pouring oil over your hair before you go to sleep sounds icky then hear us out.
IS HAIR SLUGGING FOR ME?
HAIR CONCERN: If you have dry, dull or weak hair in need of a deeply hydrating, nourishing treatment, this could be for you.
HAIR TYPE: All hair types and textures will benefit from Hair Slugging, however, the products and applications may differ. If you have fine or thin hair, reach for lightweight products that won't build up or weigh your hair down, whereas if you have thicker textured hair, go for a heavier oil with an additional masque for an extra shot of moisture.
BENEFITS: Hair Slugging reduces unwanted frizz, offers a mega dose of hydration and leaves your hair soft and shiny - all the things we dream of for our hair.
APPLICATION: Below we explain 2 notable ways to slug your hair depending on your hair type/ texture but these can easily be altered to suit you. For example if you're not keen to leave it in overnight, apply the hair oil for 20 minutes as a pre-shampoo treatment and wash it out, or leave it on during the day with your hair slicked and braided and wash out before bed.
AVOID: If you have an oily scalp or hair or if you have dandruff. If your hair is very fine or prone to breakage, opt for a 20-minute treatment prior to your wash regimen instead of overnight.
Best suited to fine or thin hair, use once a week on mid-lengths to ends.
- Apply a liberal amount of lightweight oil to the mid-lengths to ends of your hair and massage through, making sure it's distributed evenly - you want each strand to be coated but not drenched.
- Next, wrap your hair using a silk scarf, hair wrap or as TikTokers prefer, a clean, fuzzy sock.
- Make sure your hair wrap is secure and leave overnight.
- In the morning, rinse out the oil along with your normal wash regimen.
If you have thick, brittle, curly, or dry hair then your hair will benefit from a heavier treatment up to 2/3 times a week.
We recommend starting this method with a clean scalp.
- Warm a moisturising oil in your hands and apply from roots to ends, making sure each strand is oiled up, again not drowning in oil but definitely covered.
- Next, apply a nourishing hair mask on top of the oil. Sounds extreme, just trust the process!
- Gently massage your scalp using circular motions.
- Wrap your hair in a silk scarf or hair wrap.
- Make sure your hair wrap is secure before getting your beauty sleep.
- In the morning, rinse the oil and mask out and wash your hair as normal.